SALE: 3 Pack Hand Sanitizer $2.99 --- 50 Pack Face Masks for $11.10. CLICK HERE!

Daily Calcium Intake: How Much Do You Need?

Calcium is a mineral known for supporting healthy, strong bones. The average male body is composed of around 1.5 kg of calcium, while the average female body has around 1 kg of calcium.1 While 99% of this calcium is present in the bones and teeth, the remaining 1% contributes to cell function, muscle, and brain activity.2

Calcium is a vital mineral and the amount you need per day changes with age. In post-menopausal women, calcium loss and osteoporosis is the main concern because your body starts breaking down the existing calcium you have. This causes weaker bones and falls become more and more lethal.

We recommend the optimal daily intakes below. Please note that the optimal daily amounts are higher than the “Daily Values” commonly found on food and supplement labels3.

  • Adults over 65: 1500 mg daily
  • Adults under 65: 1000 mg daily
  • Pregnant and nursing women: 1200 -1500 mg daily
  • Young adults (11-14): 1200 mg daily
  • Children under 11: 800-1000 mg daily

Best Sources of Calcium

Calcium is best consumed from food sources and is present in a whole host of foods. These include all dairy products, most soy products, cruciferous vegetables, seeds, nuts and dried fruit.

However, the amount of calcium required increases with old age. These high requirements make it difficult to consume enough calcium from diet. In these instances supplements offer an excellent way to consume enough calcium.

It is best to consume calcium from a variety of sources such as calcium citrate, hydroxyapatite, gluconate, dicalcium phosphate, citrate, and glycinate.

Consuming different forms of calcium helps ensure optimal absorption. To further maximize absorption Vitamin D should be taken alongside calcium.

Why Vitamin D Should be Taken with Calcium

Vitamin D is needed for your body to absorb calcium. Often times calcium supplements do not include Vitamin D so you need to take a separate Vitamin D supplement.

Calcium plays an important role in the support of healthy bones, teeth and cells. Taking a calcium supplement, particularly in later life, can reduce the risk of fragile or brittle bones and also support joint health

Lower bone density puts women at a greater risk for fractures and injuries due to falls. Help support bone health with DrFormulas Bone Supplement. DrFormulas® Bone Support with Calcium, Magnesium, & Vitamin D provides 1000 mg of calcium per daily serving. It also contains vitamin D3 to help with the absorption of calcium.

Adequate calcium and vitamin D throughout life, as part of a well-balanced diet, may reduce the risk of osteoporosis

 

Sources: 

  1. https://www.thoughtco.com/elemental-composition-human-body-by-mass-608192
  2. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-Consumer/
  3. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/calcium-supplements/art-20047097