You can create boric acid suppositories at home by filling size 00 gelatin capsules with boric acid (~ 600 mg). Typical yeast infection treatment is 1 capsule inserted in the vagina at bedtime for 7 days. For treatment of recurrent yeast infections, medical treatment is done for 2 weeks, and then boric acid can be used twice a week for 6 months to 1 year.
Fungi or yeast can be found around the human body, however, there are situations when this fungus, particularly Candida albicans can grow out of control when women have vaginal yeast infections.
4 Reasons Women Get Vaginal Yeast Infections
1. The use of antibiotics - The vagina contains a microbiome of probiotics. Use of antibiotics kills off a lot of the good bacteria (probiotics). Yeast are not affected by antibiotics because they are a fungus. Antibiotics eliminate the natural competition between probiotics and yeast in the vagina and helps yeast to grow out of control.
2. Diabetes - Diabetics have high blood sugar which means that sugar gets released in places like the vagina. With more sugar and a higher pH, yeast can grow and take overtake over.
3. Hormonal changes - The change in estrogen and progesterone levels in women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, using hormone replacement therapy, or taking birth control with estrogen can lead to vaginal yeast infections. Estrogen is responsible for glycogen (sugar) levels in the vagina and glycogen feeds yeast.
4. Tight underwear- Tight underwear contributes to the warmth and moist environment of the vaginal area, producing an environment that yeast loves.
Symptoms of vaginal yeast infections are itching, redness and a cottage cheese like discharge if left unchecked. Fortunately, there are home remedies that work to cure a vaginal yeast infection.
How to Use Boric Acid Vaginally for Yeast Infections
- Empty gelatin capsules sized "00" (double zero)
- Boric acid powder
- Dinner knife
- Sheet of paper
- Lay a piece of paper on a table. This will help to catch any boric acid powder that you may spill when filling your capsules. Boric acid can cause skin irritation and can be harmful if consumed in excess amounts orally.
- Use the tip of your knife to fill your capsule with boric acid. One capsule has approximately 600 mg of boric acid, which is the amount recommended to be used for treatment of a vaginal yeast infection.
- Instead of using a knife you can use paper with a sharp crease to put the boric acid into your capsule.Some women find they can simply scoop the powder into the capsule.
- Close the capsule carefully using the other piece
It’s OK to make all your boric capsules up at once, that way you won't have to make one daily for 7 days.
Before going to bed each night, use your finger or an applicator that comes with anti-thrush treatments, and insert one capsule of boric acid vaginally. Do this for one week to eradicate a yeast infection. You may want to wear a panty liner to bed because there will be some discharge. Also be aware there may be some burning and irritation associated with using boric acid vaginally. Do not use more than one capsule a night for 7 days.
- Don't use boric acid if you have any broken skin that the boric acid could come into direct contact with.
- Do not take boric acid by mouth
- Boric acid is toxic if consumed orally. If consumed orally in excessive amounts it may lead to acute failure of the circulatory system, kidney damage, and possibly even death.
- DO NOT USE BORIC ACID CAPSULES IF YOU ARE PREGNANT. Boric acid is particularly toxic to the developing fetus.
Looking for ways to improve vaginal health? Checkout DrFormulas Vaginal Support.